6.03.2008

Session at the Monte Carlo.

After the final table ended the other night, I traveled over to the Monte Carlo to play some $1-2 NL. I bought in for $200 (max) and felt the table out for a few rotations. Didn't seem like there was anyone I needed to really be worried about. There was also two players that were really fishy that I knew I could catch. The other players seemed to be your recreational poker players that played with their hands face up. After having my first two sessions go south and profiting the third session by a small amount, I was ready to really get this grind going. Here's my session analysis.

First key hand:

I raised from the cutoff to $10 with QQ after a MP limp
BB called
MP called

Flop: J 7 4, rainbow
BB bet out $30
MP folded
I raised to $60
BB called

Turn: Q
BB checks
I bet $75
BB called

River: 8
BB checked
I moved in for my remaining $43
BB called and mucked his hand

This was one of the fish at the table. I had him on a jack the entire time and loved seeing the queen on the turn, hoping he had QJ. The min-raise on the flop was because I wanted to keep him along and a min-raise to $60 was still a sizable amount for him to call. I also wanted a call on the turn for sure so I bet only $75. A lot of people will either check here or move in, as I only had $43 behind after the bet. I didn't want to check, I wanted to build the pot. The pot was $151 at this point so I could have just moved in, but I wanted to make sure he came along.

Second key hand:

LP raised to $10
I called from the SB with KQo
BB folded

Flop: Jd 9c 4d
I checked
LP bet $15
I called

Turn: 6d
I led for $25
LP folded

The LP player seemed like a fairly decent player. He was also aggressive. He used position to his advantage and that's why I decided to take a card off here. I knew if I got a scare card to come off I could take this pot away. This play was solely read-based and it worked out just like I had planned.

Third key hand:

UTG limped
MP1 limped
MP2 limped
Button limped
I completed from the SB with 5h5c
BB checked

Flop: Qd 9d 5d
I checked
BB checked
UTG bet $20
MP1, MP2, and button folded
I called
BB folded

Turn: Jc
I checked
UTG bet $35
I called

River: 8s
I checked
UTG bet $80
I called

UTG showed Ad3d

So this guy was really aggressive post flop, that is why I decided to check-call him down on all streets. I knew he'd be firing with a wide range of hands here and if he happened to have a flush, then I was going to pay him off. I saw him check-raise people on the flop with 72o for absolute air and he tended to fire away if he thougth he had a good hand. As long as a diamond didn't fall, I was pretty sure I held the best hand. His range included a pair with a flush draw, two pair, and straight draw and flush draw (straight got there). He could also have had a flush, but I really thought he would have check-raised someone on the flop. I was wrong and lost the hand.

Fourth key hand:

UTG raises to $15
I reraise to $40 with KK from the SB
BB folds
SB moves in
I called

Flop: 2 Q 7
Turn: T
River: 2

UTG showed QQ

Not much I can do there, just got unlucky. I reloaded and felt I had an edge on the table still. This next hand happened three hands after the KK versus QQ hand.

Fifth key hand:

I raised to $10 from MP with JJ
SB folded
BB called

Flop: 9 7 2, rainbow
BB led into me for $20
I raised to put him all in for $85 total
He called

Turn: 8
River: K

BB tabled AK

Once again, not much I can do there. Got my money in as more than a 3:1 favorite and was drawn out, no biggie. I'm happy with my play here. Next hand, the following hand came up.

Sixth key hand:

I raised from MP to $10 with 88
SB called (same guy from last hand)

Flop: 5c 6 7c
SB bet out $20
I moved in for $105
SB called

Turn: 3
River: Tc

SB tabled K9cc.

I held the 8c, but I was only about 55-45 in the hand. I had a feeling the SB could have had a flush draw or straight draw and I wanted to move in to try and push him off the hand. I also had the straight draw myself. Just another unlucky spot here and I decided to pack it up as it wasn't going my way. Finished the night down $400.

I'm always open to opinions, comments, and criticism on my play, so feel free to shoot me anything you got.

I'll be working event #7 tomorrow, the $2,000 NLHE event. be sure to check the updates on PokerNews.

4 comments:

@bradley_utz said...

- quit being nitty and buy-in for the max in all cash games

- i guess you had 77 in the first key hand?

- lead out with the set of 5's, you're lost by checking with 5 players lta behind you

Donnie Peters said...

I did buy in for max, I always do.

First key hand, I held QQ, forgot to include it.

And in the hand with 55, I'm checking that to a field of opponents that should bet. The guy that bet was hyper-aggro, so why not just c/c him all the way and let him pay me off with most holdings.

Anonymous said...

What about leading out with sets? Someone once told me that :) Tough spot vs a crazy 1/2 table though...just bounce back strong and keep making good decisions.
Peace,
E.T.
P.S. my password isnt working, so I am officially ANON for now.

margot said...

hey mister! don't forget to sleep and eat and take echinichea etc. don't let vegas killlllll you!