5.02.2008

Days off.

As everyone can tell, I haven't been playing for a while now. I normally push through bad runs, but this time I'm trying something different. I am taking some time off. I haven't played much recently, but I plan to start back up this weekend. I'll take more time tomorrow to recap the month, the challenge, and talk about my latest sessions.

As most of you have probably heard, the WSOP main event final table has been rescheduled for November. The tournament will play down to the final table and then be put on hold for a few months. The play leading up until the final table will be aired up until November 10th, when the final table will take place. Then, on November 11th, the final table show will air for 2 hours. This is an attempt to make watching the final table as live as possible. I understand both the pros and cons about this decision, but I'm not sure I like it as a player.

Personally, if I played the tournament and made it to the final table, I would want to continue with the normal schedule of things. Waiting months would only increase the quality of play of my opponents and allow any advantages I would possibly have. If I was a pro, I would be especially irritated because of the amount of amateurs and weaker players that play in this tournament, it's inevitable that some of them will reach the final table. I understand that this may do big things for poker in general, but with that much money on the line, I'd rather play it in the moment. Advantages, momentum, and skill will all be compromised to a degree. You can read more about this HERE.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta agree with you. By postponing the final table it will give the amateurs time to study up on the pros that are on the table with them and provide an unfair advantage.

Anonymous said...

I also agree. If I managed to qualify and hit the FT and knew I was going to take home at least $1m or whatever you could afford to take some serious training in the 3 months between hitting the FT and playing it.

I think they've pulled the soul from the WSOP to be honest.It's a shame really.

Unknown said...

To be honest I do not believe it is unfair for the pros really since they will be able to make a good use of all the infos they will notes about the amateurs on the final table.

And there might be some trash talk before the final table so it might help to boost the interest for the WSOP.

Obviously WSOP will never be anything more then a huge donkfest now but if you ask me I prefer to play agains't an amateur who thinks he is great then a great player who thinks he's an amateur.

Dont know if you get me ^^

Donnie Peters said...

In my opinion, this is taking away from the game. It's making poker more about television and the business than it is about the game itself.