5.23.2008

New Orleans Day 3: Main event day 2

Timothy "T.K." Miles has a huge stack going into day 2 of the tournament and he is just playing amazingly. I mentioned that I had picked him and Jeff Tims to take the event down, and both these players are looking poised to do so. I am not at liberty to give me opinion on play over at Poker News, but I am wide open here. Some of the players were just making horrible plays. It was just unbelievable that they even made it this far. As play got closer and closer to the money bubble, I also liked how Daryl Fish was doing. He began raising a lot of pots, sometimes 3 or 4 in a row. He could tell when there were spots that people were looking to just fold into the money and he attacked. I didn't really pay much attention to Fish earlier than around the money bubble because he was playing fairly tight, solid poker, winning the occasional pot. As the bubbled approached, the kid just started taking over and increasing his stack a lot from the blinds and antes. I liked his chances the longer the day went on.

Miles did the same, raising a lot of pots and following through with aggressive post flop play. I'd have to say that Miles is easily one of the best players I have ever witnessed, the guy just reads the game so well. Just a little note to anyone if you ever find yourself at a table with him: if and when Miles talks to you in a hand, don't respond! This guy is a sicko with his live reads and people just kept giving him information to use against them. Not once did he act quickly or stumble during today's play, it was pretty much flawless. I'm also pretty sure that Miles could see every flop possible and then outplay anyone post flop, he's really that good.

Tims was another animal. While Miles and Fish were raising a lot of pots preflop and attacking the action, Tims seemed to just sit back and let things come to him. Tims didn't raise a lot of pots, but if someone raised on his table, there was a pretty damn good chance he'd be coming over the top of you. What scared a lot of players off is that Tims was showing down excellent hands all day. Players didn't really want to get involved in pots with him without a strong hand after they were 3-bet. In one hand, Tims made a sickening call on the with AT, for ace high. HIs opponent showed ace high as well, but was outkicked by Tims' 10 to his 9. It was just a sick call of the player's all in. The guy had shoved 26,000 into a pot of just over 40,000. I'd have to say it was one of the best calls I have ever seen. This play sent a real message to the field that Tims wasn't messing around and that his win of event #12 was no joke.

The day ended with Tims and Miles both making the final table. Miles was killing it with a decent chip lead and I can't see him going down tomorrow. Tims is in the upper half and is easily a force. Fish didn't make the final table, as he got caught shoving to pick up the blinds and antes and was dominated big time. I forgot to mention that Lou Esposito also made the final table. He won December's version of this event and is a really solid player. New Orleans is pretty good him I guess, as he's made 3 final tables of this WSOP-Circuit.

After the play, we decided to head out to Bourbon Street. The final table wasn't set to begin until 2p CST on Wednesday, so why not go out for a few drinks. By a few drinks, I mean 2-for-1 beers and a few shots. I was feeling pretty good all night long and Bourbon St. is a lot of fun. It did smell pretty bad, but the people were pretty cool and pretty drunk as well. It was only a Tuesday night, so I can see why not too many people were out. I had planned on playing, but the others wanted to head out so I obliged. I can always just play tomorrow and I did have a blast.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you are lucky man to be there thanks for the reports especially the part on every players play its interesting

C.S. said...

T.K. is pretty ridiculous. Thought he was going to take it all.

www.gulfcoastpoker.net

Donnie Peters said...

T.K. is crazy good. Easily one of the best players I have ever seen. The guy was just on point the entire tournament and making the sickest reads and plays.

I really hope he makes it out to the WSOP, he'll do big things.