5.27.2008

A couple hands from the N.O. session.

HAND #1:

MP was all over the place. Raising with a very wide range of hands PF and calling with almost ATC. He also chased a lot of hands until the river and would make extremely weak calls on every street. Played anything suited, raises with suited connectors, also likes to see the flop with almost all connectors and most one/two-gappers. Would raise his option out of the big blind with a wide range and with anything marginal to good. Loved to min-raise on the flop to steal when he thought you weren't strong.

CO was LAG. He liked to raise and re-raise PF but seemed to have it somewhat under control. He'd raise or re-raise with pairs PF and was super aggressive oF if he sensed any weakness. Played draws heavy and built up a stack from 200 to 800+ rather quickly using this aggressive style and just running people over.

Hero (UTG+1) $190
MP $85
CO $850

Hero KJcc raises to $10.
MP calls.
CO re-raises to $25.
Hero calls. {This call might be marginal, but I know MP is calling and that I have a pretty solid hand against the range of CO. Not to mention a big connection will net me a big pot.}
MP calls.
Flop 3s 6c 2c.

Hero checks {I thought before checking here and decided to see how the PF raiser acted.}
MP checks
CO bets $75 {Immediately bet upon his action.}

Hero has $165 remaining
MP has $60 remaining
Hero's play?

With his immediate bet, I have CO on an overpair. Against 88-TT I have 15 outs if he has no clubs and 14 outs if he has one club, so I'm pretty much a favorite here with my flush draw and two overs. If he has JJ, I have 12 outs as I hold the Jc. In this situation, I'm a slight dog, but basically flipping here. With QQ, the odds go slightly down because he has the chance of having the Qc to take away an out from me. If he has KK or AA, I'm looking at simply flush outs which will make me about a 2-1 dog in the hand.

I'm getting just over 2-1 on a call and I know I'm not getting any fold equity against this player. I also have to factor in that MP is still in the hand and could easily hold some of my outs or even clubs. I'm almost certain he's not going to fold his hand even with simply two overcards, he just can't get away from it here. In fact, he had the chips in his hand ready to be put in. This will raise my pot odds slightly, but decrease my odds in the hand. Even if he does win the hand and I can win the side pot from CO, I'll break even, so he is my main concern.

Against the range I have CO on, I'm almost certain that shoving is the best. Even though I don't believe I have any fold equity against him, there might be a slight amount, like 5-10%.

With all that said, what's everyone's take on the optimum play here? I say shove for the long run of things. A friend of mine claimed that calling is the worst play, and I do agree there. He also claimed that folding isn't a bad play, in fact, he mentioned it's somewhat 50/50 with folding and shoving. I strongly disagree with that and believe this hand can't be folded unless you put him on a set or AXcc for a better draw. Please, chime in with your opinions.

HAND #2:

MP is the same from before that was in the CO and the SB is relatively new to the table. He seems like a pretty standard 1/2 live NL player, calling a lot of pots PF and then proceeding with standard play.

Hero (BB) $175
MP $850
SB $200

Multiple players limped to Hero in the BB with AKhh.
Hero raises to $17.
MP calls.
SB calls.

Flop 9 T K, rainbow.
SB checks.
Hero bets $35.
MP calls.
SB calls.

Turn 7.
SB checks.
Hero checks. {I checked here because as I began to think about my action, the MP player grabbed a stack of chips of about $75 and was ready to fire. I didn't really buy this action by him and though I'd check it to him and see if he did fire. This could also induce a call from the SB to trap him in as well.}
MP bets $100. {He grabbed more chips and fired out.}
SB folds.
Hero raises all in for $123 total, $23 more.
MP actually took time to think and then reluctantly made the call and I knew I had him.

I tabled AKhh and TPTK after the river and he mucked.

1 comment:

Michael Sorosky said...

Fold K/J suited pre-flop, crazy animal. I agree with your read, you're probably against an overpair of some sort, a set is possible (and would suck), but is unlikely. I also agree calling is dumb, fold or shove.