3.03.2008

Just some thoughts.

I had another terrible, terrible day on the tables Monday. I played a ton, over 1,500 hands, but just couldn't get anything going or anything to work out. I lost a lot of hands I should have won and I ran all of my big hands into even bigger ones. I am going to stay positive and remember that it's a long grind for a cash game player.

I took a break from the action and read some articles over at Card Player. I came across an interview by Lizzy Harrison with Kenny Tran. Kenny is a very well respected professional and I admire he grinder mentality so much. Here is a quote from the interview when Tran was asked what characteristics great cash game players share that stood out to me:

"Guts. Great cash-game players are fearless. They just have to be really gutsy. Experience is also important. And I have to say that they must be able to play under pressure. The players who handle the pressure best take all of the money in the end. Also, a great cash-game player will never second-guess his reads or his instincts. He must be willing to go broke at all times."

I am working really hard at poker and trying to get as good as possible. I know I am only playing the micro-stakes, but you have to start somewhere. I have played enough poker that I completely understand what Tran is talking about when he mentions that great cash game players will trust their instincts. I will always trust my instincts, even when I may be scared or tend to back off. It's something that everyone should really try and work on, especially when starting off. The more you trust yourself, the better you will be. If you can learn to trust yourself and your instincts early on, you're reads will improve over time with experience and you will progress steadily.

Sometimes when you're finding it hard on the felt, you just have to get some inspiration elsewhere.

No comments: